Home | Zones | Log in | Register

Being able to buy whatever game I want ruined gaming for me

adulthood bad opinions bad takes

Nobody

But if you can just get a new game whenever or already have a sizable backlog, as soon as something is mildly boring or inconvenient in some way its trivial to dump it and move on to something else that might be more fun, or just go back to what you already know is fun

This has been my experience. Any time I get to a part of a game that drags, I end up either switching to something new or going back to, say, Rocket League or the Doom series.

This isn’t limited to video games though. I feel the same way about novels. If I get to a part in a book that drags or is uninteresting I will put it down and either re-read something old again or pull down something new.

This means my reading lately has been primarily non-fiction (primarily technical with some political thrown in the mix) with some short fiction sprinkled in. I burn through short stories (especially collections of short stories), fanfiction about fandoms that I find interesting (as they tend to be on the shorter end), and books that are so well written that I can’t put them down. I’ve been reading more manga/comics recently as well because the episodic nature makes it easier to put down and pick up at the ends of issues/chapters/volumes.

I wonder if it’s for the same reasons - I can typically afford (if I want to) buy any book from a bookstore or online (the library’s e-lending during the lockdown has been fantastic for this), so I have the freedom to bounce around instead of being constrained to a smaller collection.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-08-06 17:30:282020-08-06 17:30
Trying too hard
Reply:
To reply to this thread, please join this community.
1 person is reading this thread now.
Thread List | ↑ Top